Thursday, October 13, 2011

Organized Garage!!!

After a super successful garage sale, it was time to clean the garage!! If there is one thing that my hubby hates more than anything is me cluttering up his "man space". It is a really bad habit of mine to just drop my stuff in the garage on the way into the house and then there it sits.... sometimes for days weeks.

I am an insurance sales lady by day and an organizer by night! I love to stack, arrange, and label everything! For those of you who have ever been to our lake house, you know the labeling part it true!! :)

Since our garage sale, http://thefrenchtulip.blogspot.com/2011/10/garage-sale.html we have been needing to tidy up and organize the garage. We started by lining up all the power equipment under the work benches. They are so bulky, this was the best place to store them.


Then came the peg board! With help of Tanner, we hung 1x2's behind the peg board (on each edge) directly into the studs as anchors. Then we screwed the peg board into the anchors. This step is a must for 2 reasons:
1) the studs will hold the weight of the items you hang on the peg board
and most importantly
2) the 1 inch gap between the wall and the peg board allows you to "peg" your hooks into the holes with ease!

If you hang a peg board over a work bench like us, I suggest you raise it off the bench a few inches (we did 3 inches). This will make cleaning your work space easier and you can hang items on the lower pegs and get full use of the board.


I tried to evenly space out the items and hang them in order of importance. Tanner laughed at me during this process, but if I am going to organize... do it an eye appealing manner! :) The paper towels, scissors, tape, and some of the tools in my reach(cause I'm short). The locks, saws, and guy stuff near the top.

Then came the fun part, LABELS!!!!


I organized the shelves on this side of the garage with like items. All the cleaners in one tote. The lubes, degreasers, and guy gooey in another. Car care got its own bucket and outdoor light bulbs did too. Faucet covers now have their own spot as well as Tanner's toy boat. I bought hang tags from the Office Supply store and labeled with a black marker. I write the info on both sides in case the tags get flipped around. I use store bought tags becasue they are sturdier than homemade ones.

Now if we can just get everything back to its designated spot when not in use, I will be a happy wifey. I am making a promise to Tanner to NOT clutter his "man space" with my junk, then he will be a happy hubby!! Hopefully our garage will stay organized and clean forever!

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment